This Week’s Headlines
Shenandoah Valley AREC schedules its 2015 field day
By JANE W. GRAHAM
RAPHINE, Va. (July 28, 2015) — The Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Research and Extension Center will showcase a variety of on-going research on the afternoon of Aug. 5 during its field day.
The field day will feature researchers from Virginia Tech who conduct some of their work here at the AREC on the historic McCormick Farm where Cyrus McCormick invented the reaper and changed agriculture forever.
Registration begins at noon with the program starting at 1 p.m.
Those planning to attend may register by Friday, July 31 by calling the center at 540-377-2255.
This Virginia Tech event is unique in at least two ways.
It is only held every other year and nearly all of the speakers are from the university.
Also it is in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, which is one of the state’s largest and most productive farming regions.
The program will include the following speakers and their research topics:
• Adam Downing, Virginia Cooperative Extension and Dr. John Fike, Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences, Virginia Tech, “Establishing Silvopasture: A Mid-Way Progress Assessment;”
• Dr. Ozzie Abaye, Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences, Virginia Tech, “New Legume Crop For Virginia: Mungbean Adaption and Cultural Practices;” and
• Matt Booher, VCE, Augusta County, “Summer Annual Options for Grazing, Hay or Cut and Wilt Ensiling.”
In addition to the program presentations, visitors will have the opportunity to view demonstrations and research forage plots on the farm. They will include the following researchers and research:
• Dr. Ben Tracy, Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences, “Mob Grazing Research Update;”
• Dr. Greg Evanlo, Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences, “Does Land Application of Biosolids Pose Health Concerns for Grazing Livestock?;”
• Dr. Terry Swecker, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, “A Review of Artificial Insemination Synchronization Protocols and Synchronization Injection Sites for Beef Cattle;”
• Dr. Mark McCann, Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences, “Phosphorus Supplementation for Beef Cattle;”
• Matt Booher and John Benner, VCE, Augusta County, “Summer Stockpiling Fescue for Late-Summer Pasture;”
• Dr. Ben Tracy, “Managing Tall Fescue with Alternative Legumes;” and
• Dr. Brian Campbell, DMS Nutritional Products and Dr. Chris Teutsch, Virginia Tech Southern Piedmont Agricultural Research and Extension Center, “Fescue Genetics.”